Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dedication to Karen Slough

I wish to dedicate a blog for the passing of my cherished friend Karen Louise Slough
19th March 1973 - 9th May 2010

May she Rest in Peace

Today I had to say goodbye at the burial of a much loved and dear friend of mine.
Karen was a beautiful, cheerful, bubbly, loving, caring, honest, compassionate, confident and very friendly person who was so uplifting to be around, she always had such a positive presence. She was a 37 year old mother of 3 gorgeous little girls; Paige one, Ashley two and Kayla three years old. Karen’s death was sudden and very unexpected. When I heard the news I simply could not believe it. Karen was far too young to die. I will forever be grateful to have known Karen, she will forever live in my heart. She wanted to make everyone happy and touched our lives. Karen will forever be missed and I feel so honoured to have known her.
With all the love in my heart,
Lucy.

4 comments:

  1. I found an article on Karen in the Sunday NZ Herald paper and also the link as follows http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10645231

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear lucy, we are old friends of karens, shane and kelly who stayed with her and brad 3 years ago.
    we are having trouble reaching brad to offer condolences.
    if you read this please contact us at kellyshane@mac.com

    thank you
    shane king

    ReplyDelete
  3. every couple of weeks or so we would talk together. a shoulder......
    i miss these calls.
    ants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brad, Kayla, Ashley, and Paige,
    We are so sorry to hear about Karen. Everyone that knew Karen is deeply affected by her passing on. Shane and I have had heavy hearts since we learned of the news. We loved her so much, I can honestly say she was one of my most favorite people in the entire world. She was so special. When I met Karen she was one of the most beautiful women I'd ever encountered with those sparkly blue eyes, her infectious laughter, and her great sense of humor. Karen was always so fun to be around. It was an instant bond and I knew we would be friends forever. At the time we were working at a fishing lodge in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Not only work, but life was hard for me. I was trying to grow as a person, and had my own personal battles I was fighting. Karen got me through my hard days at the Lodge not only as my Supervisor, but as my friend. Right from the beginning Karen had become someone I looked up to. She was magical and I would travel the world to have this new friend in my life. I will never forget staying with her in Australia 2001/2002. She taught me about the kind of person I wanted to be. She sat and listened to my woes. I was in love with a boy named Shane but we weren't together as a couple yet. I was scared to be in love. With her intuitive understanding of positivity, courage, a d compassion she taught me to not be afraid of love and to always go after and seek out love. Karen taught me courage. She taught me rejection is okay. She sketched me pictures, she practiced Reiki, and she made up "love-rituals" meant to send our positive thoughts into the universe. She took time out of her life for me and generously shared her positive thoughts and energy. She was a healer. She always gave me the best advice and it's going to be a struggle to go through my life without her. Although time went by, we always kept in touch. Shane and I (together as of 2002!) finally got to visit with Karen again. This time we came to New Zealand 2007/2008 and got to meet you Brad and your beautiful daughters Kayla and Ashley (Paige you were on the way soon!). It will forever be one of our favorite trips! To see Karen as a mother was inspiring. She adored her baby girls so much! We know that her universal wisdom, her sparkle, her passion and love is in all three of you girls. The time we spent in your home will warm our hearts and bring smiles to our faces for the rest of our days. I hope that this letter can be kept as a memento for you Brad, Kayla, Ashley and Paige. Know that Karen was loved all around the world! I have nothing but fond memories. The day I learned of the news and went and bought the most beautiful, flowering Mandevilla plant to celebrate Karenʼs vibrant life. It has bright pink and red flowers and I call it my Kaz Plant. It sits by our window here in Vancouver with its happy blooms and its vines encircling a rounded trellis. From the trellis I have hung the necklace Karen gifted to me while in New Zealand. My Kaz Plant brightens my day, as do the memories of our precious time together.
    With all our love and sympathies,
    Kelly and Shane

    ReplyDelete